A blog about everything about teaching the Bible. "And still I will show you a more excellent way..." (1 Corinthians 12:31).

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Blues (or Reds?)


Will Tennessee have the Election Day “blues” or “reds”? That’s the question each of these United States will answer today by secret ballot. While some people choose not to vote for reasons of conscience, and I respect that; in general, I think the right to vote is a blessing, and I hope everyone who can in good conscience do so, will cast a ballot.

Elections can be irritating, though. We’re elated when “our guy” wins, but tempted to be “down in the dumps” if the other guy wins. It only makes sense. Especially with the big national elections, the guy you vote against is probably ideologically, well, wrong—at least that’s the way you see it. Who wants to have to follow the lead of some guy you totally disagree with?

It concerns me deeply that the nation seems so divided. To have such a close election between two men who claim to stand for polar points of view says a lot about how the gap has widened between two groups of Americans who see the world in very different ways. I believe in radical freedom, independence, and personal responsibility, and that supporting those in need should always and only be voluntary—never forced through taxes. Neither of the candidates exactly represents that idea, but I voted for the one that fit it closest. It baffles me that people would see things any other way! I’m sure you’re confused as to why people don’t see things like you do.

Here’s what I want to say today: It doesn’t actually matter much to me who wins the Presidency. Surprise you? I know for absolutely certain that God has this thing under control. He’s going to work it all out for his glory and in the favor of those who love him and respond to his call (Romans 8:28). There’s literally nothing anyone in the world can do to stop the progress of the cause of Christ (Romans 8:31). He will be with “us” always, to the end of the age (Matthew 28:20).  The good ole U.S. of A. may be around when Christ returns, or it may not be. I vote my conscience, hoping for the best, but knowing my prayer is worth a trillion votes! My country’s heaven (Philippians 3:20), and my Savior’s coming back for me from there someday! I’m not looking to either Presidential candidate to save me, so no matter the outcome; I won’t be “blue,” or “red.”

No comments: