A blog about everything about teaching the Bible. "And still I will show you a more excellent way..." (1 Corinthians 12:31).

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

GULF – 10,000 Reasons


One of the first songs we sang at GULF Youth Experience in Orange Beach Alabama last weekend was, 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord), written by Matt Redman. The sound of hundreds of young people lifting their voices up together to “bless the Lord” was inspiring to say the least.

I was blessed to have the opportunity to teach two of the breakout session classes on Sunday. I taught the Middle School boys first, then the High School fellas. The theme was “Under Construction.” The keynote speakers talked about tearing down and building up walls, about the building blocks of a faithful walk with Christ, and about living in expectation of the return of Christ. My classes were focused on helping the young men envision and reach their spiritual potential.

We took a few of our Middle-School students this year. They had a great time. They participated in the praise enthusiastically. We sang some of the songs together in the van afterward. The speakers really connected. Our guys talked together about points from their lessons. They probably liked the devo on the beach the best, and I’ll have to say it was a really great time and place to worship God together. That’s one of the things that makes GULF special among Youth Rallies.

I could probably come up with a thousand reasons why a good youth rally is a blessing to me, much less teens. But, instead, here’s 10,000.

"10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord)"

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

[Chorus]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore

[Chorus x2]
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

Jesus, I'll worship Your holy name
Lord, I'll worship Your holy name

Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
Jesus, I'll worship Your holy name
I'll worship Your holy name

No comments: